Saturday, February 17, 2007

Retro - Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K


Today I found my first computer while I was cleaning up my room. Poorly it doesn't work, but it's a sentimental value for me, so I kept it. In that time there was a friend who can fix it when it went away until he couldn't fix it anymore. Well, I found the famous Spectrum, again. How many times I played with it until it gave up! With present eyes its performance is equal with zero, but in that time (in the early '80s) it was the miracle, itself!
The details:

Year of issue: 1982 - I was 4years old...
CPU: Z80A (at 3.5MHz) - my present phone is at 107MHz...
RAM: 48KB - It was enough for everything!
ROM: 16KB
Text resolution: 32x24 (16 colours) - 768 characters filled a whole screen...
Graphical resolution: 256x192 (16 colours) - my phone can 176x220 with 4096 colours
Audio: 1 (!) channel audioBeeper (10 octaves and 10+ semitones via internal speaker) - 5.1 wasn't then...
Storage: External cassette tape recorder - to load a game took about 4 minutes, microdrive was too expensive for us, out of reach...

Think about why I was cheerful in that time with this machine!
And today there are little boys, the PS3 is not enough for them...

But then, too! I downloaded an emulator, some games, and I left the blue-yellow lines to take me away, again. "Piiiiiiiiiiiii-pipp piiiiiiiiiii-piiiiiii..." :-D
Are you interesting in the gameworld of that times?
Click here: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home